Dr. Gene S. Mirkin is President of Foot and Ankle Specialists of the Mid-Atlantic, LLC and has served as Chief of the Podiatry Subsection at Holy Cross Hospital and the Podiatry Section of The Surgery Center of Maryland. He was on the Executive Board and a member of the Maryland Podiatric Medical Association, and has served the State Medical Society as Treasurer and Secretary. He is a member of the American Podiatric Medical Association. He is on the staff at MedStar Montgomery Medical Center. Dr. Mirkin is double Board Certified, in Foot Surgery, as a Diplomate of the American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery and, in Podiatric Medicine, by the American Board of Podiatric Medicine.
Dr. Mirkin has published several articles and chapters in books, is a contributing writer to Podiatry Today, and has been a frequent guest on several local and satellite radio and television shows. He has lectured to athletes and other podiatrists and physicians. He enjoys treating athletes, having held a number of running world records as a child. Sports medicine, dermatology, and reconstructive surgery are his practice specialties, including the use of lasers for the treatment of skin and nail disorders.
Washingtonian Magazine’s Top Podiatrist Award, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016
Washingtonian Top Sports Doc, 2019
America’s Most Influential Podiatrists/VIP DPMs 2017, PM News, June, 2017.
Medical Director, Foot & Ankle Surgery Center/Kensington Surgery Center Kensington, Maryland, 1993 – 2019
Chairman, Podiatry Section, Surgery Center of Maryland Silver Spring, Maryland, 2001 – 2008
Chairman, Podiatry Subsection, Holy Cross Hospital Silver Spring, Maryland, 1999 – 2002
Board Certified, Foot Surgery. American Board of Foot & Ankle Surgery, 1995 – present. Re-certified, 2014
Board Certified Foot and Ankle Orthopedics. American Board of Podiatric Orthopedics. 1993 – present. Re-certified, 2013
Fellow, American Society of Podiatric Surgeons. 2011 – present.
Fellow, American College of Foot and Ankle Orthopedics and Podiatric Medicine. 1993 – present.
Fellow, American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. 1995 – 2008.
Clinical Advisor, American Running and Fitness Association. 1991 – present.
1. Hao XP, Yim J, Freedman D, Siddiqui S, Levine D, Tritto M, Saffo G, Isaac A, Mirkin G. PAS stain based histological classification and severity grading of toenail onychomycosis. Medical Mycology In press 2019 doi: 10.1093/mmy/myz075 Corresponding author
2. Hao XP, Yim J, Qi C, Mirkin G. Soft tissue chondroma, a case report. JAPMA 2019 Nov;109(6):451-454. doi: 10.7547/18-047 Corresponding author
3. Hao XP, Mirkin G, Baglio R. Recurrent familial digital fibrokeratoma, A case report. JFAS 2019;58:1036-1039 doi: 10.1053/j.jfas.2019.01.010
4. Hao XP, Levine D, Yim J, Qi C, Firestone L, Beiser I, Leone E, Woelffer E, Mirkin G. Schwannoma of Foot and Ankle: Seven Case Reports and Literature Review. Anticancer Research 2019;39:5185-5194 Corresponding author
5. Hao XP, Yim J, Chang S, Schwartz E, Rubenstein S, Friske C, Masternick E, Shamim S, Mirkin G. Acral lentiginous melanoma of foot and ankle: Seven case reports. Anticancer Research 2019;39:6175–6185 Corresponding author
6. Madden C , Spector A , Siddiqui S , Mirkin G , Yim J , Hao X . Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans on Adult Toes: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Anticancer Res. 2019 Apr;39(4):2105-2111. doi: 10.21873/anticanres.13323.
7. Hao X, Mirkin Joon Yim. Mycosis fungoides palmaris et plantaris on the plantar aspect of the left foot, A case report. Am J of Surgical Case Report. In Review 2020.
8. Mo Esmaili, Michael Tritto, Gary G Procop, Sarwat Siddiqui, Gene Mirkin, Xingpei Hao. Neglected Tropical Mycetoma on the Foot in the United State: Two Case Reports and Literature Review. JAPMA In Review 2020 Corresponding author
9. Jason Birkel, Gene Mirkin, Xingpei Hao. An Intradermal Spindle Cell Lipoma on the Plantar Hallux in a Patient with Scleroderma and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome: A Case Report. Am J Surg. In view 2020.
10. Guest Clinical Editor Q&A: Prescribing Orthoses For Bunions, Hammertoe and Achilles Tendinosis. Podiatry Today, August, 2015:Vol. 28, Issue 8.
11. Washington Post Health & Science: Ten little things that can get hurt …and what you can do to protect them. July 22, 2014.
12. Guest Clinical Editor Q&A: Current Insights On The Benefits Of Custom Orthoses and AFOs. Podiatry Today, February 2014; Vol. 27, Issue 2.
13. Guest Clinical Editor Q&A: Orthotic Prescriptions. Podiatry Today, August, 2013; Vol. 26, Issue 8.
14. Berlin, SJ, Mirkin, GS, Tubridy, SP: Tumors of the Heel. Clinics in Podiatric Medicine and Surgery. 7:2 (April, 1990).
15. Mirkin, GS and Mirkin GB: The Prevention and Treatment of Sports Injuries That Are Due to Errors in Training. The Journal of Current Podiatric Medicine, 1988; 5:10-14.
Dr. Mirkin received his BS degree, in Biology, from Guilford College, in Greensboro, NC. Dr. Mirkin received his Doctorate in Podiatric Medicine, from Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine.
He completed his residency at Bon Secours Hospital in Baltimore, MD. His training also included rotations at Francis Scott Key Medical Center (a Johns Hopkins Institution), Maryland General Hospital, and Good Samaritan Hospital.
Dr. Mirkin is board-certified in foot surgery by the American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery. He holds a second board certification, in Foot and Ankle Orthopedics, from the American Board of Podiatric Medicine. He is a Fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Orthopedics and American Society of Podiatric Surgeons.
Foot and Ankle Specialists of the Mid-Atlantic, LLC ("FASMA") is in network with most major health insurance plans including, but not limited to, those listed below. If you don't see your insurance plan listed, it may have another name. Please contact the customer service number on the back of your card to verify your specific coverage.
- CareFirst BCBS
- JHHC, LLC
- Medicaid MD
- Medicare DC & MD
- MedStar Family Choice
- MedStar Medicare Choice
- MedStar Select
- Railroad Medicare
- Tricare/HealthNet Federal Services
- United Healthcare/OneNet
- United Community Plan
Patient Survey ReviewsLearn how patient feedback is cultivated
I would recommend The Foot & Ankle Specialists to any one needing the services that they offer. All of the staff are very professional.
My Doctor is helpful and explained the problem in a good way i recommend him to all
Dr. Mirkin took the time to make me part of the process. He was informative, gave his recommendation, and made me feel like my decisions were reassured.
Dr. Mirkin was very thorough and professional. I feel confident that my pain will diminish under his care.
very pleasant experience
i liked that he was upfront and explaining what was going on and how he could potential treat the reason for the visit and that it might take a while to get things right. Very Honest
I have never been to a better organized and patient friendly medical provider. Staff from initial call through diagnosis, treatment, and exit were the best I have ever experienced, except on Maui where I am from. The doctor was very articulate and thorough in explaining the issues and the possible treatment scenarios.
Gene Mirkin is my hero!
As always, Dr. Mirkin gave me excellent care. There is always an element of humor at my visits. I usually don’t like anyone doing anything to my feet. I have total confidence in Dr. Mirkin. I’d recommend him to everyone.
Dr. Mirkin ROCKS!
Dr. Mirkin was such a pleasure! In this current climate when I was hesitant to be in a doctor’s office but HAD to, he put me at ease. He is VERY through and attentive and will explain things to you in a way that you will completely understand. I HIGHLY recommended him!!
Dr. Mirkin not only is an excellent professional also has tons of charisma so visits are really pleasant.
Glad you are back seeing patients.
Dr. Mirkin’s combination of professionalism and personal attention is, and has been, the finest I’ve ever experienced. And his staff reflects that.
I am having a great experience w/ Dr. Mirkin. He is very thorough, has a great attitude, and makes me smile as I leave. I wish he were my neighbor or friend.
Really appreciated Mr. Mirkin and Lou (not sure I got her name right) thorough and encouraging attention to my feet and to how I was feeling.
Dr. Mirkin is excellent
Surprisingly very informative and efficient!!